It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:54 am

Cooked engine, anyone? 

Part of TN: East
Post Cooked engine, anyone?
I may have cooked my engine this past Sunday. Me and Deb took the truck out to just ride around and run a few small errands. While coming to light, my truck made a strange noise and Deb said she smelled antifreeze. I looked at my temp guage and it was at 280!! I pulled over and let it bubble out and cool down a few minutes. Then, I drove to an Advanced Auto to see if it was still overheating, which it was. I was just gonna go ahead and pick up a new thermostat and some antifreeze and change it in the parking lot.

Before I went in, however, I decided to just crack open the radiator cap (halfway) to let the pressure out. Before you start telling me how stupid this was, I've done this dozens of times before and never had one blow up on me. I guess I've been lucky so far. Well, I must have turned the cap too far and the cap blew off and covered my entire left side in hot antifreeze. I did have my head and face turned away and I was using a towel to grip the rad. cap. The only place that got burned was an area around my elbow.

Enough of that. Well, of course, now the whole front end and engine bay is coated in antifreeze, as well as my side. My main concern at this point was washing off my arm, rinsing the truck off, and just getting home. The Advanced Auto store I was at didn't have an outside hose anywhere to rinse the truck off, but they did have a sink to wash my arm. There's a car wash about a block away, so I put the rad cap back on and went to rinse off the truck. By this point, I'm very agitated and frustrated and wasn't thinking clearly. In the back of my mind, I knew there wasn't much coolant left in the radiator, but I was too focused on just getting home.

We left the car wash to try and get home. The temp guage was only reading 210, so I was thinking it was gonna be OK. About 3 miles up the road, the engine starts rattling, and pinging pretty bad, so I decided to pull over and call my dad to bring the trailer and come pick me up. By the time I got pulled over somewhere in a big enough lot for my dad to get the trailer in the engine was rattling pretty bad. I got out and opened the hood and it was smoking out of all the ports and I could smell burnt oil.

Monday evening, I replaced the thermostat and filled it up with fresh coolant. I drove to work yesterday. The engine runs OK, but it seems to be lazy and it doesn't idle quite right. I think I've damaged the camshaft. I've talked to Woody and he's gonna check things out for me sometime in a couple weeks. Hopefully, it isn't too bad, but we will see.

If nothing else, I may just leave it as-is till show season is over and start looking into replacing or fixing it this winter.

"Life is tough. Life is tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne

GOT JESUS?

Last edited by Slick68 on Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:00 am

Part of TN: West
Post Re: Cooked engine, anyone?
Man ... that made my luck yesterday with the blazer look better. I also had a radiator blow on me years ago , it got me good , glad to hear that your ok.

Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:08 am
Administrators

<--- Lacks skills in the Engine area so can't offer a diagnoses, but in for the updates.

Owner/Admin "TN Classic Truck Club"

Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:40 am
Profile WWW

OK, I talked to a machinist who recommended to do a compression test first to check for collapsed piston rings or burnt valves. I did the compression test l;ast night which showed good, consistent pressure in all cylinders, so the rings and valves are OK.

Again, I talked to Woody. He said we will check the lifters and valvesprings in a couple weeks when he gets a chance to come look at it.

Since I plan to attend the Shades of The Past, Woody and I agreed that I change the oil and add a bottle of zinc additive for some extra wear protection in the meantime.

GOT JESUS?

Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:13 am
Non Residents

Hey Matt, That sounds good the rings were going to be my guess.(Monday Morning QB.)See you next week.

Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:33 pm

Part of TN: Middle
cool! glad its Ok

That LS swap just got a LITTLE closer :lol:

Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:25 pm

Woody's coming down Thurs. night. We're gonna check the cam, lifters and valvesprings. I'll be sure to post on what we find out.

GOT JESUS?

Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:18 pm

OK, here's the prognosis. Woody came down and checked things out. I have several weak valvesprings and about 6 slightly worn cam lobes. One cam lobe in particular is pretty bad, at least by looking at the lifter. It looks like I'll be installing a cam, lifters and valvesprings. My dad still has the 290HP cam he took out of the engine in his 56. It was never ran, so I can get by with lifters and valvesprings.

GOT JESUS?

Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:54 am

sweet glad to hear you got it figured out and its not to bad

Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:46 am

Glad its not hurt to bad!......Is your paint ok?

Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:40 pm

Hey George, paint is fine. As far as I know, antifreeze isn't hard on painted parts unless it just sits on it for long periods. That's why I rinsed it off as soon as I could.

I'm gona use the 290hp cam that my dad has. That way all I have to buy is lifter, valvesprings and gaskets. While I have everything apart anyway, I'm gona go ahead and pull the headers and PS pump off and clean and repaint the engine, brackets, pulleys, etc.

This should get me by the rest of this season and probably next season, and I'm gona start looking into the market for an LSx combo to put in the truck. I'm also strongly considering a 5 or 6-speed manual tranny.

GOT JESUS?

Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:13 am

Glad the paint is ok!....that would be a shame if it got messed up!...your trucks paint looks great!

Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:10 am

IT'S ALIIIIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I got her running Monday night and driving again last night. I still need to meddle with the timing a bit. My timing light bit the dust last night, so I just had to turn the dizzy till it "sounded" good. :lol:

I gotta say I'm gonna miss the lopey idle my old cam had. :crying:

While I had the engine out, I repainted and changed the color scheme around just a tad. here's how she looks now.

Also check out my new wire looms.

GOT JESUS?

Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:37 am

Update: It's not good. After I got everything all put together and running, it just never ran right. The engine was very lazy, and just didn't seem to want to idle and run good at all. I talked with Woody and we thought the cam timing was wrong. He put a degree wheel on it, but it seemed to be in the right place. After some considerable figuring, the cam seemed to be right. We pulled the timing cover and noticed everything was really where it was supposed to be. All the while we were turning the engine over, we kept noticing it was very hard to turn. We started with a large screwdriver leveraging it between the bolts in the balancer. We ended up using a really long(approx. 24-28" long) 3/8" ratchet extension, which helped but it was still hard to turn. We took the cam gear off so we could just turn the rotating assembly. It still had some hard places to turn.

I talked to a machine shop and he said if my oil pressure was good and I didn't have any strange noises, then it's more than likely a warped piston, and it's biting into the cylinder wall. So, it looks like it's tims for a rebuild or a new engine.

Thinking of going with a Big Block!!

GOT JESUS?

Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:35 am
Non Residents

I feel your pain. But I'm not going big block.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:13 am
Moderators

Go LS!!!!!!

:5150:

Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:31 pm
Non Residents

Give him a call Bryan.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:07 pm

I would go LS, but I'm on a budget, and the LS route is gonna take alot more work and money to make it "pretty". Whatever I put in needs to look like it belongs with the theme I've built the truck in. All things considered, I'm not sure I want to go LS in my 68.

GOT JESUS?

Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:30 pm
Moderators

First of all LS fits every theme. Second, it's not as much as you would think. Especially, if you have plans to upgrade the small/big block.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:24 pm

I'm still lookin at options. It really may not matter at this time anyway. I'm really not sure when I'll be able to come up with enough money to do anything anyway.

If I knew I could get what I need out of it, I'd stick a 290hp 350 crate engine in it and sell the truck. Then I'd use the money to build something more fun.

GOT JESUS?

Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:49 pm
Moderators

Just go with the 5.3 and you can drive it to Seattle one day. No more driving down Hwy 70 to White House :happy:

Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:58 pm

I drove Hwy 70 for the scenic route. :wink: I just get bored driving the interstates.

GOT JESUS?

Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:53 pm
Non Residents

Sorry to hear this.I vote BBBBIIIIGGGGGGG block!http://www.sonnysracingengines.com/press-release
Just kidding but 496 is very fun!

Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:49 pm

Hezie wrote:
Sorry to hear this.I vote BBBBIIIIGGGGGGG block!http://www.sonnysracingengines.com/press-release
Just kidding but 496 is very fun!

:shock: :shock: With that engine, I should go ahead and add wings and get my pilot license. :lol:

If I end up with a big block, I know someone(ahem) that has a good 402. I could get the engine and have it assembled for less that what a stock 350 rebuild will cost. I would go ahead and spend a little extra on it and upgrade to a roller cam, balance the rotating assembly and maybe some slight head work. I could bolt the 402 up to my current drivetrain which would be sufficient until I could add something better later down the road.

If I go LS, I would want to go ahead and upgrade to a better trans on the get go. The LS motors just don't make enough low end torque to really benefit the TH350/3.07 gear I have now. I've talked to a few people that have put in LS motors with similar trans/rearend combos and they were very sluggish at low end. The LS engines make great power and they will pull hard from 3500 to well past 7000 rpm. That means I would need to add an overdrive trans with a low geared rearend to take advantage of an LS's power band range. I will also go ahead and go for a 6.0 or a 6.2 if I go LS just for the sake of better torque.

Also, I'm not really willing to install a used engine in my truck. I know LS motors are great engines that have a great reputation as dependable long lasting engines, but the fact is things can still go wrong with them. Even if I go LS, I would have the engine checked out by a machinist and go ahead and fix what's necessary before installing, which will cost more money.

It really doesn't matter which route I take, I'm going to have to spend somehwere around $4000.00. In which case, no matter what I put in, I don't want to have to pull it out or change it anytime in the near future.

My old 350 has served me well for the better part of 10 years. I guess it's time was just up.

GOT JESUS?

Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:32 am

My vote is LS 1st. Sorry to hear about it Matt, and no I dont wanna sell the rearend you sold me back lol. WHATEVER YOU DO DONT SELL YOUR TRUCK ITS BEAUTIFUL! Worst come to worse put the 260hp crate engine in it with a cam swap (only difference between the 260/290 is the cam if I read everything right).

Keep the truck and go LS, Look at the 67 c10 holley built, it looks almost like a factory BBC

Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:30 pm

:agree: keep the truck she is a masterpiece :mrgreen:

Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:52 am

OK, guys. Here's an update. I'm keeping the truck. I'm going to pick this up this Saturday. :punk:

Just to keep things simple, I'm going to run a carb on it. I may either run a 700R4 or maybe a Richmond 5speed behind it. My plan is to relocate the coil packs to keep it all clean and simple. Below is a picture of kind of the look I'm going for, but in the blue/gray theme my current setup has been.

GOT JESUS?

Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:17 am
Moderators

Congrats, should be sweet.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:04 am
Administrators

Post Cooked engine, anyone?
Nice

Replied via iPhone using Tapatalk

Owner/Admin "TN Classic Truck Club"

Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:46 pm
Profile WWW

Did you make the wire looms?

Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:50 pm
Non Residents

When I told my buddy with the LS powered chevelle that you were wanting to run one with a carb... he said it's as much work and money (or more) to set it up for a carb as it will be to run it with the fuel injection... and not near as reliable...

Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:40 pm
Non Residents

Go with the Richmond :wink:

Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:08 pm
Non Residents

I considered going wth this one instead of a common crate motor, but chickened out. You'll be driving right by Canton. Call me if you need anything.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:44 pm

sweet

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:41 pm
Non Residents

http://www.aera.org/ep/downloads/ep10/E ... _10-19.pdf

Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:04 pm