It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 4:38 pm

TH350 Questions 

Part of TN: East
Post TH350 Questions
I am really hesitating to spend money on this th350 because I want a stick shift but I have no idea when I'll be able to get that done. I have an engine rebuild underway and rust repair that have priority. I need to get this transmission working reliably so it can stay a daily driver. I've been driving this truck over a year now and I've done nothing to the transmission yet, its probably way overdue for some service.

Do you guys recommend any updates / mods to the transmission, I'm fairly certain its bone stock.

I dont think it has a kickdown cable installed... Do I need to fix that? and how do I fix that? any kits available or should I hit the junkyard?

Would a shift kit be a good idea? If so, which one? There are quite a few and I have next to no idea what I'm looking at.

Should I change the torque converter while I have the engine out?

On a similar note, my speedometer doesnt work. It twitches sometimes when it feels like it and occasionally cruising below 25mph it is fairly accurate. Is drive gear in the transmission bad or is something else broken?

I'll be back with more dumb questions later! Thanks

Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:22 am
Administrators

Post Re: TH350 Questions
Chewievette wrote:
I am really hesitating to spend money on this th350 because I want a stick shift but I have no idea when I'll be able to get that done. I have an engine rebuild underway and rust repair that have priority. I need to get this transmission working reliably so it can stay a daily driver. I've been driving this truck over a year now and I've done nothing to the transmission yet, its probably way overdue for some service.

Do you guys recommend any updates / mods to the transmission, I'm fairly certain its bone stock. A question that needs to be answered is how many miles are on it and what are your plans for how it's driven.

I dont think it has a kickdown cable installed... Do I need to fix that? and how do I fix that? any kits available or should I hit the junkyard?
The cable is primarily for passing gear, it does increase line presure some but the modulator valve controls that mostly.They are easy to change and if you have the brackets on the intake manifold, you should be in business.

Would a shift kit be a good idea? If so, which one? There are quite a few and I have next to no idea what I'm looking at.
Again, mileage, condition and driving expectations need to be considered. As you said, there are several on the market. From basic shift improvers to all out racing. You just need to decide on how firm/hard you want it to shift.

Should I change the torque converter while I have the engine out?
That would depend on what cam profile you are using, most cam makers will tell what stall is recomended.

On a similar note, my speedometer doesnt work. It twitches sometimes when it feels like it and occasionally cruising below 25mph it is fairly accurate. Is drive gear in the transmission bad or is something else broken?
I would check the driven gear and the "bullet" it goes in. I have found many of the aluminum bullets worn out and the gear moves away from the drive gear. Inexpensive fix if that is the problem.

I'll be back with more dumb questions later! Thanks

There are no dumb questions, just stupid answers.

74 K5 to be a 2WD, Just a driver
71 C-30 in pieces

Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:04 am

I have no idea how many miles are on the transmission, there is no telling how long the speedometer has been inoperative. I'm guessing the 14,000 miles shown is WAY off.

I have two vehicles and they are both daily drivers. Drive one, work on the other then switch. It usually works out well. I dont ever intend to race this truck in any way, I might take it down the 1/4 a few times or tow something once in a while but really its a daily driver and cruiser. I dont mind a harder shift than normal, I know its to prolong the life of the transmission ...as long as its not snapping my neck at every shift.

At the least it needs a fluid service and I need to figure out the speedometer problem. I'll probably do that pretty soon. I may just leave it alone and deal with its anemic performance until I can figure out the manual swap.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:50 am
Administrators

When you pull the pan let me know how it looks. Some fine metal (dust) and friction is ok. If it looks like coffe grounds or brake drum cuttings that's another story.

71 C-30 in pieces

Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:32 pm

I'll snap a pic and post it. Probably do it this weekend when I replace the wiper motor.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:00 pm

Part of TN: Middle
Don't host it on photobucket or anything like that. Woody's school blocks pics from those places and he won't be able to see it.

2004 Matrix XRS
1992 GMC K3500
1987 Land Cruiser FJ60
1970 4x4 Blazer
1956 Chevy big window, shortbed
1954 Ford F-100

Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:31 pm

I'll host it on Facebook... surely a school wouldnt block that site!

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:09 pm
Administrators

Yep, they do. There is one pic hosting site that I can see but can't remember what it is.

71 C-30 in pieces

Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:40 am

Probably best to email Woody, or even send a pic over the phone.

"Life is tough. Life is tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne

GOT JESUS?

Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:45 am
Administrators

I will pm you my email.

71 C-30 in pieces

Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:31 am